International Healing Arts Society
Art & Medicine
HEALING & ART
OVERVIEW OF SOMATIC SANDPLAY THERAPY
- Sandplay Therapy activates the psycho-biological field of the unconscius of both client and therapist
- People who are physically ill unconsciously make pictorial representations in the sand of unhealthy body states
- The 'Medicine Wheel', the great Mandals of the people includes the 4 elements, 4 colors, 4 great powers, 4 medicine animals,4 directions. Representations of the 'medicine wheel' are often depicted in the sandbox, and point to an individual's inner process.
- 'The Bridge', when used to unite the opposites in a sand scene, is symbolic of the transcendent function of the 'psyche', unting opposing forces of the psyche.
- The Great Mysteries includes: love, birth, death, healing, and divinity.
Somatopsychic - refers to the affect the cellular consciousness has on the psyche.
- In Tibetan Medicine, all illness is a problem of the heart.
- Play Therapy and Sandplay Therapy can provide a glimpse through which we can glimpse in the inner world of healing.
- The therapeutic power of play helps clients cope with the stress and pain of illness
- CHILD - wounded/orphan/divine
- GUIDE (guru, sage, crone, wise woman, preacher, spiritual mother)
- HEALER (wounded healer, intuitive healer)